Saturday 14 September 2013

Japanese milk bread

So I made bread this week and the more challenging part to produce the recipe is that I follow my heart when I add the ingredients lol.

Anyway after watching the baking tv programme, I decide to look for recipe making soft and fluffy bread like the one I can get in bakery shop. So I come across this recipe which use a relatively Asian technique to make bread. The website I used as reference: http://homecookinginmontana.blogspot.com/2013/03/japanese-milk-bread-using-tangzhong.html

So this tangzhong is the secret weapon in this recipe, it's basically a mixture of heated flour+water. What I did is pour some flour maybe around 40-50g and add water to cover the flour. Then I heat it until it achieve a 80% opaque glue-y texture. For the pic details please refer to the website above.

Anyway for my recipe, I basically pour the amount of flour I want to make around 4 regular bread as sold in bakery store. I guess should be around 150g. Then add the amount of sugar I want around 3 tablespoons. And approximately 5g of yeast. Then what I did is I roughly mix the dry components and then add in cold milk and cream and the tangzhong. The amount of the liquid amount is generally depends on the dry mixture. The ratio of the milk: cream: tangzhong is 4:2:4 Tablespoons. Just about enough to produce a dough. So take time to slowly mix it till the right texture. The only thing that I missed out is the egg. But the product shows that it actually doesn't really matter as my dough is relatively more watery than it should be, so it has enough moist. 

Anyway as usual, after kneading (I use olive oil and butter to knead instead of just flour so the dough will be less hard and solid), leave the dough to grow and then shape the dough. Use egg to glaze the top and start baking :) I put the bread in oven under 180 degree Celsius for 25-30 minutes. 

Dang dang!

 Nice golden crust on top, soft and fluffy with hint of sweet and milky taste. This is my version of Japanese milk bread :) very satisfied with the incorporation of tangzhong and I will definitely use this recipe again, although its not accurate at all hahaha! 

For a more accurate recipe please refer to the website I shared above lol. Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment